08 October 2008

Doing My Patriotic Duty

I am trying to single-handedly stimulate the US economy. Oh, sure, many people are cutting back... and what am I doing? SPENDING! BUYING THINGS! PROPPING UP THE FIBER INDUSTRY!

It's not like I'm Warren Buffett or anything; I don't exactly have billions to pump into KnitPicks, Etsy or my LYS. But... in the wake of spending a significant chunk of my savings on my wheel (and getting it here), it somehow made logical sense in my brain that what I needed -- despite the two large, full, 100-gallonliter Rubbermaid containers in the lower level that argue otherwise -- is brand-spanking new roving!


Finn sheep Lambswool.
Photo and roving from matahari spinnery.

"Finnsheep/ Finnish Landrace: Native of Finland;
this wool is semilustrous with long staples
and crisped silky handle (24 micron)"


Wensleydale roving, 4oz.
source: ibid.

longwool, wonderful. I think I have some Wensleydale somewhere
but I can't remember...


And this one is just way cool:

Black Diamond, Carbonized Bamboo fiber, 4oz.
source: ibid.

from matahari's description:
"Black Diamond is a Bamboo carbon fiber. Bamboo fiber is carbonized through baking at high temperatures producing an all-carbon fiber with the exact same shape. Black Diamond is resistant to ultra violet rays and possesses anti-odor properties. It also adjusts well to humidity and dryness. Black Diamond is a dream to spin. The top glides from your hand and the natural gun metal grey color is mesmerizing. Blend it with your favorite grey or black wool for amazing results. this fiber will keep you up late dreaming!"


Black Diamond sounds like a challenge to me. I'm eager to get my hands on this and give it a whorl... (sorry, couldn't help it).

ADDENDUM: Of course, I'm also keeping in mind that in a post-economic-apocalyptic-OMG-PANIC!!!! world, the knitters, spinners and weavers will come out on top. We can barter endlessly with fiber. The farmer-fiberists will trade for something they can't grow (fibers not on their farm, finished goods they don't have time to make); the urban/suburban-fiberists will trade exotic fibers or finished goods for something they can't raise (fleece/meat). We'd all be able, whether through production or trade, to produce sufficient clothing and fleeces to keep warm even if there is no heating. We could live on lamb kebabs and goat's milk.

In a worst-case scenario, the world will go for the fiber-loving community. I'd even open up my own fiber bank. It shall be called the First Bank of Roving. It would not only be awesome, but also probably true. And I would grow rich on fiber! MUAHHAHAHAHA! Yes, the perfect plan. Now all I have to do is wait for the market thingy to drop another 5 gazillion points by lunchtime.

Also, we are now accepting deposits at the First Bank of Roving. Your fiber deposits are insured by the Empress of Knit Goddingdom for protection against moths for up to five years. We will be soon offering a wide range of Fiber Bank services, including moth-protection deposits, stashing, stash-enhancement, and hope to branch out into in-house spinning services. First Bank of Roving: for all your fiber-stashing needs.

1 comment:

CraftyGryphon said...

Hee! I totally want a First Roving account. I'd rather get offers in the mail from that than all the credit cards and banks I've been getting (although, gee, that *has* been slowing to a trickle lately...)!

I saw some of that black-carbon bamboo stuff at my first spinning lesson - it was silky-soft and really cool (I'm amazed I was allowed to touch it, but I'd been cleared as "fiber knowledgeable enough").