23 May 2007

Socken Diagonal Rib...

are finished!

I know, it's been a while. It's not that I have Second Sock Syndrome--far from it. I found that after I finished the first sock, I was really excited to start the second. Plus, the actual time spent knitting Sock 2 was far less, since I had already memorized the pattern and, once past the cast-on, had become used to working in the round on dpns. Finding the time to work on Sock 2 was the most difficult part.

This is due to:
1) Spinning. I have been engaged in a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde self-debate over spinning. Some days I love it; other days, when I'm trying to spin a super-fine single and the damn yarn keeps breaking off again and again and AGAIN, the best I can do is say, "Expletive yarn, expletive wheel, expletive Corriedale--knitting you're cool--and I'm out." Unfortunately, spinning is sort of like having that ex... it wasn't always good--but when it was good, it was REALLY good... and one more time won't hurt... The key difference is that when spinning pisses one off, one is not tempted to pick up spinning's clubs and drive golf balls through every window of its apartment.1

2) Side Projects. After getting out of my medium-term relationship with the Hearts and Stars blanket, I rebounded with several flings. For the record, none of them were named Rhonda. Don't tell the Diagonal Rib Socks that they were rebounds, and that I'm going to break up with them as soon as Christmas rolls around and mail them to one of my dear friends. I prefer to just tell them that they're going on vacation and drop the unsuspecting little socken into the FedEx box. Besides, they don't know that I've been knitting around with this sexy little scarf number called Exchequered. Published in the Spring 06 issue of Knitty, this pattern by Alice Bell has won me over.

First off, it's double-knitted, so I don't have to knit in the round or seam anything up at the end. It's deliciously double-sided, and knit all at once. Seriously, it's almost magic how double-knitting churns stuff out (as Princess Jasmine might say, "It's all so magical!"). Second, it's baby alpaca and silk. Third, it's khaki and blue. Fourth, fifth, and sixth, it's baby alpaca and silk. Seventh, and finally, the pattern is just nifty. I'm debating whether to give this as a gift, or give this as a gift to myself.

A big thank-you goes out to the friendly lady at Misty Mountain who warned me about alpaca socks. I was going to knit Eunny Jang's Entrelac Socks (from the Spring 07 Interweave Knits) out of this baby alpaca. She explained that alpaca socks were just too hot to wear on anything but the very coldest of winter days. Maybe I'll knit some for my dad and brother for when they go duck hunting--alpaca, not entrelac.

I just realized that I've become sidetracked while writing about side projects. Moving right along to....

3) Non-knitting projects. These include 3 Black Angus calves and a whole lot of gardening. Here's a picture of Black Angus Calf 3 interacting with Dutch Belted Steer 1:

Mom, aka Dr. Doolittle, gets upset when I refer to them as "Nascent Hamburgers."

Bought 2 roses last Saturday called "Moondance." It's a perfectly-formed bright creamy white floribunda rose that holds its shape as it blooms out. Its light, slightly spicy scent reminds me of "Princess de Monaco," one of my favorite roses which is all but impossible to find now. I did a little research and found out it was a 2007 All-America winner... and no wonder it's such a great rose, with Iceberg as a parent! Iceberg makes a great tree rose; it's hardy and resistant to blackspot and powdery mildew, as well as a prolific bloomer. I know, this is a knitting blog, but roses are my first love... so deal with it; there will probably be more to come about roses this summer.

But, here's what you've been waiting for:

[diagonal rib socks picture]
Socken!



As you may have noticed, there is no picture. Hopefully I will get one up soon. I wrote this entry a week ago and still haven't had a chance. Like I said, I've been a bit busy... but stay with me, and eventually, there will be sock pictures. And pictures of the scarf in progress. Promise.


==============
Notes:
1. As we have learned previously, this is also the key difference between blonde and brunette bombshells: while the blonde will throw her martini in your face, the brunette will throw her martini--along with several other smashable things--against the wall. (See "Brunette Bombshell Tantrums," page 19, cf. Rita Hayworth).

No comments: